Sloppy Joes

 

Slow cooker sloppy joes AFarmgirlsDabbles AFD 3
Our family loves Sloppy Joes.  It’s a Halloween tradition and we’ve made them every single year since the boys were little. Halloween was always such a busy time when the kids were growing up, I would put these in the slow cooker mid-day and they would be ready in the evening.  We always served them with chips, it was just so good and I have wonderful memories of those years.  I’ve been a fan of the Joe since I was a child.  It was my favorite grade school cafeteria lunch and I passed the love on to my family.  

So this year, I revamped the Sloppy Joe, this is a single serving, and it’s seriously delicious.  I have recently rediscovered Morningstar Farm Crumbles.  They have definitely improved them, the taste is excellent, I actually prefer it over ground beef.

So, if you’re in the mood for a great sandwich and you love Joes as much as me, this is a winner!  And if you want to make more than one serving, just use the original recipe, substituting the Crumbles for the ground beef and swap out the brown sugar using Splenda instead.

Here’s my swap out..

1 cup Morningstar Farm Grillers Crumbles
Chopped onions and pepper, I use quite a bit to bulk it up, probably a small onion and at least half a pepper
1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
2 tsp. white vinegar
1 packet of Splenda
1/4 cup Heinz ketchup
dash of cayenne or red pepper flakes 

I serve this on two slices of 35 calorie Fit ’n Active Wheat Bread from Aldi’s, love this bread!  Or you can serve it on an 80 calorie Healthy Life Bun, or you can throw caution to the wind and serve it on a regular bun.

These amounts are just as Mother used to say “by gosh and by golly” I just dump it all together.

I nuke the peppers and onions in the wave covered for 3 minutes, then stir the rest of the ingredients together, simmer and serve

Calories?  Not bad, I don’t count the onions and peppers,  as a former Weight Watcher, told you I’ve done every diet there is, we never counted these veggies, so I still don’t.  It’s my little cheat πŸ˜€

The filling is well under 200 calories, 70 calories for the bun, so figure 250 calories even adding a few baked chips and it’s a great sandwich.

And if you want it fully leaded, here’s the original recipe.

1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
2 heaping Tablespoons brown sugar
1 Cup Heinz Ketchup
1/4 cup water
Cayenne Pepper to taste

Simmer 10 minutes

Comments

Popular Posts