Maple Baked Custard

IMG 3111 copy


This simple custard is "baked" on top of the stove. It is equally good for breakfast as it is for a snack or dessert. Serve it with seasonal fruit.

This was surprisingly good.  It’s velvety smooth, and by putting the paper towels on the bottom of the pan, it keeps the bottom of the custard from starting to cook while you boil the water.  I’ll make this again, substituting Splenda for the maple syrup.  Great recipe, this one is a keeper...

Ingredients:
2 eggs
1 cup skim milk
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla
Ground nutmeg
Tiny pinch of salt 


Instructions:
1. Combine eggs, milk, maple syrup and vanilla. Whisk or beat until well blended.

2. Pour into 3 glass custard cups. Sprinkle with nutmeg.

3. Place the custard cups on several layers of folded paper towel in a large pan (I used a stainless steel dutch oven) with a tight fitting lid. Pour water into the pan, about 1 inch deep, and cover.  I bought water level to about half way up the ramekins.

4. Bring the water to a rolling boil.


Remove pan from heat and let sit for 15 minutes without lifting the lid.

I let it sit a bit longer, probably 20-25 minutes.

5. Serve warm or cold.

Nutritional Information:

Per serving:
115 calories
4 g total fat (1 g sat)
143 mg cholesterol
13 g carbohydrate
7 g protein
0 g fiber
86 mg sodium

TWEAKS:

I doubled this recipe and made it using 60 calorie carb balance milk, use a large pinch of salt, a tablespoon of vanilla.  Be sure and bring to a rolling boil, I didn’t get it hot enough and it didn’t firm up.  So I brought to a boil again, let it set for 45 minutes and it’s perfect.  I made 4 full ramekins doubling the recipe and calories are only 280 for entire batch - 440 divided by 4 = 110 calories, and it’s a lot of protein.  


Next time, I’ll cut back on vanilla and Splenda.  I used almost 1/3 cup Splenda, next time a scant 1/4 cup and 1.5 teaspoons of vanilla for a double batch. Works for me...

Comments

Popular Posts