Shredded Salsa Chicken Burrito

NewImage

I made Shredded Chicken Burritos for lunch today, it was so easy and they were absolutely delicious.

Using an Instant Pot recipe from Skinnytaste I did the following:

4 boneless large chicken tenders, frozen, no need to thaw them
 1 cup chunky salsa
large pinch of oregano
3/4 tsp. of cumin

Update:  I used fresh chicken breast and I used 1 cup of salsa and half a cup of water because I was afraid that I would get the dreaded BURN function because the liquid was too thick.  I cooked it for 13 minutes, the liquid was a little thin when I lifted the lid because of the added water, so I just used the Saute feature to reduce the liquid, it worked perfectly and in a couple of minutes the sauce was very thick.

Sprinkle spices on chicken, put in Instant Pot, add salsa, and using the Manual Setting, set it for 20 minutes, then let steam release naturally.

I shred cooked chicken with an electric, mixer, it’s really fast, or two forks work equally well.

Now for the build:

IMG 3381

So simple, refried beans on the bottom, then add your Shredded Salsa Chicken and cheese on top.

IMG 3382

Fold over, I never seem to do envelope style, I just fold, add shredded cheese to the top (spray the cheese with Pam, it melts really fast that way and microwave it for 2-3 minutes.

IMG 3385

Top with light sour cream and additional salsa, it’s really delicious.

Calories per burrito - I used low carb tortillas, 120 calories, probably 100 calories in chicken, another 60-70 in the refried beans.  This picture is hubby’s plate, I didn’t add sour cream and left the cheese out of mine, so I’m guestimating 300 calories per burrito.

The additional cheese and sour cream would bump his up another 150 calories, because I was generous with the toppings.

Did I miss the cheese and the sour cream?  Nope I just added salsa to the top of mine instead and it was great!

 

Comments

Popular Posts